Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Olympics...so far




As predicted in my last post, I've been keeping my eye on these Olympics, at least as much as is possible. I just like them. They're fun, engaging, and for the most part, exciting. Plus who doesn't like good sportsmanship and healthy competition (hear that ejected Badminton players!)? I've had some observation about the Olympics so far, so I'll try to bullet point them as much as possible.

  • The Opening Ceremonies - ok, so it was not like Beijing. But c'mon people, what could be? Danny Boyle admittedly said he couldn't compete with the scope that was the Beijing Opening Ceremonies, so he didn't try. And I personally think he did a good job. Some parts were a little slow or just odd (the teenage love/cell phone part was a bit of a headscratcher, although I got what they were going for), but it was overall a good time. Plus, the inclusion, no matter how small, of JK Rowling made it tops in my book!




  • I did have some high hopes for the men's gymnastics team after the qualifying round, and while it was disappointing to see them slip, they still are a great team and should be roundly applauded for their efforts. They did a whole lot better than I could have done.
  • While we're on the subject of gymnastics, yay USA Women!! They were just so awesome last night. To win by 5 points is a pretty spectacular thing (from what I understand). And let me just say McKayla Maroney, you deserved a perfect score. You are amazing. And to Jordyn Wieber, way to be. On that note...
  •  Jordyn Wieber is a 16 year old girl who just saw her dreams fall apart a little bit...get the cameras out of her face. Let her grieve this in peace. I was quite annoyed by that. But not as annoyed as by the rule that kept her out of the All-Around competition. It should be the top 24 period, no matter what country they're from. If they're one of the best, let them compete with the best.
  • Gabby Douglas is possibly the cutest thing ever.
  • One last gymnastics note...Aliya Mustafina...tone it down a notch. You are going to stroke out at 20 if you keep it up. You have a team silver medal, that's still pretty darn awesome.
  • What is with all the Michael Phelps backlash? Seriously people, do you secretly have 20 Olympic medals, making you a superior (and far more judgmental) athlete? He just became the most decorated Olympian EVER. Who cares if they're bronze, silver, or gold (which most of them are)? That is simply awe-inspiring. He'll be a better swimmer at 80 than I was at 15.
  • I think I'm still trying to get my head around synchronized diving. It just strikes me oddly. I totally get the challenge, but there is just something about it.
  • I hate playing volleyball, but watching it is another story. Especially Kerri and Misty. I mean, they've never lost a SET in Olympic competition. Kerri has had 2 kids in the past 4 years and is still out there, being awesome (although naming a kid Sundance, that's questionable).
  • BMX in the Olympics? Ok, whatever works. I'll watch.
  • I truly wish I had more hours in the day to watch this stuff. There are so many things I'm missing and so many athletes to appreciate. I'm so not one myself, so their accomplishments are pretty amazing to me. Like that chick that just got gold in Skeet Shooting, 99 out of 100 shots. Wow. It doesn't matter what it is, all these athletes deserve to feel proud of even being there. I'll never be an Olympian, so my props to them.
Outside of my bullet pointing, I have to say, watching the Olympics with a 4 year old is more than enjoying. He is getting so into it, constantly asking who is going to win, who got the world record, what they're doing, all these questions. I hope he keeps that curiousness and enthusiasm alive, at least so I'll always have someone to watch with me.

No comments: