Friday, April 15, 2011

Next on the reading list

Its another great Show Us Your Life over at Kelly's blog today, what's on your reading list. This one is particularly relevant to me, as I love to read and am making a concerted effort to read more. My goal for the year is 15 books, and according to Goodreads, I'm 3 books ahead of schedule!! Go me!!

The next book I'm going to read is An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. Yes, that Steve Martin. I've always heard he's an excellent writer, so I thought I'd give his new book a shot. The book is about the life of an art dealer is NYC, so its not something I would normally pick up, which is something I've been trying to do. I'll let you know what I think!


After An Object of Beauty, the next book on my list is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, a non-fiction book. I first heard about this on the radio before it was released and it has intrigued me since. Henrietta Lacks was a poor, young African-American woman in 1951 who died of cancer. While in the hospital, cells were taken from her body that, from what I understand, to this day are still multiplying, which has never happened before. The book is about the journey both the cells and Henrietta's family take over the next decades, and how the discovery of what was taken affects the Lacks'.
I put this book on the list even though I'm in the middle of reading it for my Bible study. It is quite different from the usual happy Bible study book. It is about truly living in faith and listening to what God is telling it. It has been a little tough, but it is definitely worth it. I suggest you check it out, especially if you are in a good group, as discussion is very necessary.
There are many other books on my reading list past these, including Rebecca, One Day, The Lonely Polygamist, some Francine Rivers (since Redeeming Love is such a great book I think I should check out more of her) and I'm sure the list will grow. Pick up a book and enjoy!

4 comments:

*Kelly* said...

That sounds like a great list.

Who knew Steve Martin was such a great novelist!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Radical is on my list....Happy Saturday

Steph said...

All the books look great. Please let us know how they are. I really want to read the Henrietta Lacks one!!

Erin Branscom said...

Great list! :) Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Love your blog! I am following you!