Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Another pictureless update/book review

The computer is up and running, but Ross loaded a possibly temporary operating system, so I'm not going to mess with my pictures and stuff until he knows for sure what he is doing. At least I can get online from my own living room now!

I finished my fourth book for the year, The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen, on Sunday and I'm still struggling with what I think about it. I've been wanting to read it for years, and I really don't know why. The one word that most came to mind while reading it was pretentious. The story itself, the characters, the writing style, pretty much all of it. It was a decent, fairly quick read, but not a book I ever need to read again. While reading I kept trying to figure out which character I liked the most. I couldn't, but my list of who was the most unlikable character was rather long. The people were just sour and negative. I completely understand why this book got the critical acclaim it did, its fits into that critical darling role. It is obvious the author is of that jaded, dreary generation that feels the need to be at odds with the world and society. I guess the book just didn't fit in with the space in which I'm trying to live my life. But at the same time, it is always good to get different perspectives. I would suggest this book if dysfunction and drama are the order of the day.

No comments: