Thursday, December 1, 2011

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year


Happy December everyone. I've been woefully neglecting my blog lately, so I thought I would try (and the operative word is try) to blog every day this month about things I find wonderful. We'll see how it goes.

The first thing I want to write about is, as cheesy as it sounds, the reason for the season. I know I am not always demonstrative about my faith. We all communicate things differently, and while I feel like I do miss opportunities at times, I am definitely getting better at being open and vocal about it. But hopefully not in an obnoxious way. There are enough obnoxious Christians in the world to go around.

I love Christmas. The fun, Santa, snowmen, trees, gifts, family, stockings, cookies, hot chocolate, shopping, excitement part of Christmas. As I've previously stated, I'm a fan of pomp and circumstance, and there are definitely parts of Christmas that fit in. Its so great to see Quinn's face get excited when he sees the lights on houses or the decorations at the mall. Its great to be with friends, have fun, and enjoy all the minutae of the season. But I truly love the Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Bethlehem, angels, wise men, manger, shepherds, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John part of Christmas. The first part wouldn't exist without the second. So much good as come to the world and to me because of the birth of one baby, and for that I am eternally grateful. Agree or disagree, its what I believe. I will gladly talk about it with you, but I don't want to argue or be called names or be forced into a stereotype that I personally do not fit into. And I will show you the same courtesy. To me, this is what makes the entire season so wonderful.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given
and the government will be on His shoulders.
And He will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Might God
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace

1 comment:

Kate said...

Kim, (I realize I'm commenting on an ancient post, but I just read through your whole Wonderful series and love it), but your last three lines are perfection here. So simple, and if everyone could try it, we'd have a whole different world.