Friday, December 9, 2011

Wonderful Books



As both you readers out there know, I've been really trying to read more lately. And it is working...sorta. I'm definitely not at the level of some people I see (I frequent a book message board and there are people on there who've read over 200 this year already. 200!), but I'm for sure doing better than I was last year or 2 years ago at this time. I used to read all the time when I was younger, I could go through a Baby-Sitter's Club book in a day or so. Those were some good times. My mom reads very frequently, she always seems to have at least 2 books on her table. Maybe someday. I've also been trying to expand what I read, including at least 1 classic and a few non-fictions in every year. I just think reading is so magical (cheesy, I know, but hey, find another word for me). You can explore so much of the world (and other worlds to for that matter) through just a few pages. There is a quote from the book A Dance With Dragons by George R.R. Martin (which I haven't read, but maybe will someday) that says (and I paraphrase a bit) "A reader lives a thousand lives before he lives, the man who never reads lives only one." Truer words have not been spoken.

Let me throw in a quick book review since books are the topic. I just finished Maphead by my Jeopardy hero, Ken Jennings.

If you are at all interested in maps or geography or Ken Jennings or humor, check this book out. It was very intriguing. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of maps/travel/geography, from antique map collecting to road rallies via maps to the National Geography bee in Washington, D.C. It is fascinating, informative, and best of all, hilarious! And if you like it, please check out his first book, Brainiac. Also awesome.

No comments: